OK, you already know about our unusual love affair with veggies. But really one of the major reasons why we are obsessed is because we are in awe of all they do for us–a big reason we wrote The Nutrition Twins’ Veggie Cure. And, this salad is the perfect example.
Let’s face it, we’ve all had those days (or entire weekends) where we’ve had a few too many indulgences that we wish we could erase. (Yes, we did have 4 friends celebrating their birthdays this weekend and we feel a bit off kilter and not so healthy [ah!] after having eaten every meal away from our veggie-filled kitchens ;)). Like you’ve told us you had, we too have had those feelings of regret and aren’t thrilled when our pants feel a little extra snug. That’s why we love this little cruncher! We created it to help “rinse” out some of the puffiness and bloat (see how it works its’ magic below!). Plus, it fills you up with fiber so that you’re not starving and don’t end up with low blood sugar and craving more of the bad stuff. And if you want more recipes like this to help you, try our Roasted Detoxifying Veggies, our Veggie Detox Salad and our Kale Recharge Smoothie.
Drum roll please… meet your hero! Hello Colorful Detox Salad! It fills you up, not out, gets your mind and body immediately on the healthy track and helps the liver in its’ detox process! Woohoo! Hello Slim! 😉
Here’s why this works:
o You’ll save a lot of muffin-top promoting calories when you fill up on this (34 calories) versus the hundreds of calories for each doozy that you crave and now that you skip.
o This Slimming Salad acts like a “flusher” — We made sure this was rich in water and helps you to “rinse” out bloating sodium from your body, “de-puffing” you and make you feel lighter. The potassium from the veggies will also fight bloat as it helps to restore normal hydration status.
o The veggie’s vitamin C in the Slimming Salad will make your skin glow by promoting collagen formation. We wanted to make sure it would do all this plus it will hydrate your skin (ie, you’ll glow) and you can kiss good bye to a puffy face and eyes.
Indulged in alcohol, been around cigarette smoke, or eaten a bit too much processed food? More reasons why this Detox Salad works!
o The cruciferous veggies like cabbage (if you add broccoli, kale, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts to the salad, they all do this too, and happen to be some of our faves in the animal kingdom!) help the liver to flush out harmful toxins
- Sulforaphane, a phytochemical (and others) in cruciferous veggies activates the enzymes that detoxify before damage to cells is done
o Bah bye damage and toxins!
Hello Veggies, Adios toxins! Veggies all contain phytonutrients to stave off damage from invading particles
o *Glutathione, a protein in veggies clings to toxins and drags them out of our body! Top choices- asparagus, potatoes, peppers, carrots, onion, broccoli, avocados, squash, spinach, garlic, tomatoes
*Notice we created this salad that is fresh, not cooked. That’s because cooking or processing decreases the glutathione bioavailability.
The Lemon: (we spritz lemon on everything, it’s an awesome substitute for salty flavors)
• The ideal flushing food–packed with potassium and water to restore normal fluid balance and flush out any bloating salt that may be causing you to store water and puffiness.
• Let’s face it, when you don’t eat right and you overindulge in junk, you put your body to the test. Lemon gives you a shot of vitamin C and acts as an immune-booster to help strengthen your body after all the havoc it’s just been through.
• Helps to neutralize free radicals before they can do any further damage and prevents inflammation so that the body can stay calm.
Colorful Detox Salad
Makes 4 Servings —but feel free to eat it all yourself in one sitting for less than 150 calories!
1 cup chopped red cabbage
1/2 cup chopped zucchini
½ cup chopped red pepper
½ cup chopped green pepper
1 cup chopped cucumber
¼ cup chopped scallion (optional)
5 chopped olives (optional)
Any veggies of your choice!
Juice from ½ lemon
Spritz of olive oil (optional)
Simply mix everything together and spritz with juice from ½ a lemon and several spritzes of olive oil from a spray jar- it you are using.
Nutrition Facts Per serving: Makes 4 cups, Each serving is 1 cup and 34 calories, 1 g fat, 2 g protein, 3 g fiber AND FLUSHES YOUR BLOAT AND PUFFINESS OUT LIKE NO TOMORROW 🙂
- 1 cup chopped red cabbage
- ½ cup chopped zucchini
- ½ cup chopped red pepper
- ½ cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup chopped cucumber
- ¼ cup chopped scallion (optional)
- 5 chopped olives (optional)
- Any veggies of your choice!
- Juice from ½ lemon
- Spritz of olive oil (optional)
- Simply mix everything together and spritz with juice from ½ a lemon and several spritzes of olive oil from a spray jar- it you are using.