If you’ve read our other blogs, you likely already know that we’re veggie-loving twin registered dietitians and personal trainers, both with a sweet tooth that we work hard to contain 😉 . But what you may not know is one of the reasons that we’re veggie- obsessed is because they have seemingly magical powers when it comes to helping our clients to lose weight. Simply by filling half their plate with veggies (without oil-based, creamy or other high-calorie dressings) and eating less of the heavy stuff (carbs and protein), our clients effortlessly drop pounds. Add that the plant compounds in veggies help to keep the body healthy, fend off damage from toxins and help to prevent premature aging and it’s no wonder why we’re constantly getting requests for delicious veggie recipes without high-calorie dressings (that’s why we created our Colorful Detox Salad, our Roasted Detoxifying Veggies, and our Kale Recharge Smoothie!). So we knew we had to share this yumster!
This Beet & Apple Salad is packed with nutrients to help your body cleanse and repair. Although your body is equipped to detox and cleanse itself on its own, naturally, certain health-promoting foods and drinks, assist it in its process. So if you’ve had a bit too much rich food and want to get back on track, start by nourishing your body with whole fruits and vegetables (like the ones in this salad!) that are water-rich to help you stay hydrated, and also that are high in fiber and low in calories… The ingredients in this recipe contain beneficial properties that will support your body’s natural “detoxification” processes and jumpstart your healthy lifestyle!
Here are a few reasons this salad rocks:
- Apple cider vinegar helps regulate blood sugar, an essential part of controlling cravings and losing weight.
- Beets contain betalin pigments that support the liver by helping to remove waste from the blood. Another compound called betaine protects cells and lowers inflammation.
- The apple and carrots provide vitamins A, C, and K, as well as plenty of fiber to support regular bowel movements.
- Ginger alleviates the symptoms of nausea, bloating, and constipation by facilitating the movement of food through the intestines.
- And parsley acts as a natural diuretic to help your body eliminate excess water that can lead to bloating and weight gain.
Beet & Apple “Detox” Salad
Makes 2 servings
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon honey
½ teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger root
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
½ cup grated beet roots
½ cup peeled and grated carrots
½ cup grated Granny Smith apple
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1. In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, honey, ginger, and olive oil.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the beets, carrots, and apple. Add dressing and mix well. Garnish with parsley. This salad can be served chilled or at room temperature. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving (about ¾ cup per serving): 76 Calories, 2 g Fat, 0 g Saturated Fat, 0 mg Cholesterol, 48 mg Sodium, 13 g Carbohydrate, 3 g Fiber, 10 g Sugar, 1 g Protein
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ½ teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger root
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup grated beet roots
- ½ cup peeled and grated carrots
- ½ cup grated Granny Smith apple
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, honey, ginger, and olive oil.
- In a medium bowl, combine the beets, carrots, and apple. Add dressing and mix well. Garnish with parsley. This salad can be served chilled or at room temperature. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.