Our clients always ask us what the most satisfying weight loss breakfast is. By far we’ve noticed that there is one breakfast that stands out the most when it comes to tiding our clients (and us too!) over for hours and keeping energy levels high. What amazes us most is that typically the clients who switch from eating 600-calorie-plus breakfasts to eating this breakfast can’t believe how full they feel when they eat this 300-calorie breakfast–and we’ve even had some of those clients say they couldn’t finish this breakfast! 🙂 And- it’s so simple.
Pssst… on days when they can’t have the most satisfying weight loss breakfast, the runner up for satiety and energy and weight loss are these two breakfasts: 2-Minute Cinnamon Belly Fat Burning Oats and our Orange Creamsicle Energy-Revving Quick Oats.
Say hello to four ingredients that work their magic in combination to make The Most Satisfying Weight Loss Breakfast.
What’s really cool is you can prevent boredom and make this in two super easy and delicious ways—as Simple Berry & Egg Crepes with Grains—or as scrambled eggs with cinnamon berry oats on the side!
How does this breakfast boost energy and prevent hunger and cravings?
Do you want to know why this breakfast is able to keep us and our clients on track all day long so we won’t feel the need to give in to every craving or food whim that hits us?
It has the winning combination of being a good mix of carbohydrates (to fuel our brains and our workouts) and protein (to keep us satiated). And eating like this is one of our favorite things that we teach our clients to do too when it comes to choosing a healthy, weight loss breakfast because we LOVE watching them enjoying what they eat and seeing the awesome results!
How can you make a satisfying breakfast?
Below are our top breakfast tips for a long-lasting, satisfying energy boost. (Please share this link https://nutritiontwins.com/the-most-satisfying-weight-loss-breakfast/ with a friend if you think he or she’d like these tips):
The breakfast needs to include:
• Protein (like eggs or Greek yogurt) for staying power to keep you feeling satisfied and keep your blood sugar stable, (ideally 15 grams or 20, less than this and you’ll be hungry too soon) combined with:
• High-fiber carbohydrates to fuel your brain and your muscles. By choosing fiber-rich carbohydrates like fruit, oatmeal or quinoa, you’ll prevent energy highs and subsequent crashes that not only bring on exhaustion but also create sugar cravings as the brain looks for the quickest pick-me-up it can find—S-U-G-A-R! (You don’t need loads of carbs—a half cup of cooked cereal usually does the trick!)
• And…don’t just stop at breakfast—use our weight loss, long-lasting energy guidelines (above) for all of your meals and snacks (just in smaller portions– and add some veggies!) to keep you feeling satisfied and prevent hunger, overeating and cravings.
Now for the #1 Satisfying Weight Loss Breakfast…
Simple Berry & Egg Crepes with Grains!
Or you can use the same ingredients to make Cinnamon Berries & Simple Scrambled Eggs on Whole Grain Toast (or with 3/4 cup cooked oatmeal)! It’s that simple!
Maybe it should be no surprise that this breakfast is so satisfying given that a study in the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition showed that when subjects ate eggs for breakfast (versus equal-calorie breakfasts of either cereal or croissants), they consumed up to 438 fewer calories over the entire day. And studies have found that breakfast including eggs may help control hunger for 24 hours–woohoo!
What else makes this breakfast satisfying?
Naturally sweet cinnamon! It tricks your taste buds into getting a no sugar added, seemingly sweet satisfaction but without creating the inflammation that sugar does that makes weight loss more difficult. Instead, cinnamon fights chronic inflammation to make weight loss easier and its’ been shown to reduce body weight and belly fat, helping to prevent against obesity.
Antioxidant-rich, low-calorie berries add to the sweet satisfaction and have been shown as a possible treatment for obesity-induced inflammation and they also provide sweetness without the need for inflammation-promoting sugar that makes weight loss more difficult.
Oats (or whole grain toast). Ahh, the carbs! Portion-controlled, energy revving-wholesome carbs that keep you on track and that stabilize blood sugar and lower the risk for cancer, heart, disease and diabetes. These satisfy your body, your brain and provide chewing satisfaction to keep you on track.
How to make The Most Satisfying Weight Loss Breakfast in Two Delicious Ways:
The Simple Berry Egg Crepes & Grains Recipe
Note: We typically have our clients use one whole egg and several egg whites since the whites are higher in protein but lower in calories, so they fill you up with very few calories. We don’t like to leave out the yolks and recommend them because the yolks are where you find all the good nutrients like vitamin D, omegas, choline, vitamin B12 and antioxidants like lutein and zeaxanthin that help fight off macular degeneration, etc., so we give them the best of both worlds.
This satisfying breakfast will aid your weight loss efforts as it’s filling, nutrient-packed, and has 20 satisfying grams of protein and can be made in under 2 minutes!
1 Egg plus 3 egg whites*
Cinnamon, to taste, about 1/2 teaspoon
1 cup mixed berries (blackberries, blueberries, strawberries)
1 ounce fat free feta, optional (we used Trader Joe’s)
2 slices whole wheat toast (can substitute 3/4 cup cooked oatmeal or quinoa)
(We added one tablespoon of stevia sweetened calorie free maple syrup on top in the photo).
- To make crepes, mix eggs in a small bowl and stir in cinnamon. Pour half the mixture in a microwave safe bowl with a wider base. Microwave for 45 seconds and allow to set for a minute. (Cooking time may vary depending on microwave.) Remove bowl from microwave and carefully use a spoon or spatula to remove the “crepe” from the bowl and place on a plate.
- Repeat step one with the remaining egg mixture.
- Place half the berries down the center of each crepe. Add feta and roll the crepe.
- Serve with 100% whole grain toast or oats. Enjoy!
Nutrition Facts per serving (entire recipe with oats): 325 calories, 18 g carbohydrate, 20 g protein, 9 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 4 g fiber, 396 mg sodium
The Most Satisfying Weight Loss Breakfast:
Cinnamon Berries with Simple Eggs & Whole Grains
- You can use these ingredients to make two recipes!
- Option 1:
- 2 slices whole wheat toast (can substitute a ¾ cup cooked oatmeal or quinoa)
- 1 Egg plus 3 egg whites*
- veggies, any (optional, but recommend)
- Oil in a spray jar
- 1 cup berries
- Cinnamon, to taste, about 1 tsp.
- *You can substitute the whole egg for 6 egg whites if you are someone who needs large volumes of food to feel full. The protein will be higher and the calories will be slightly less, just be aware that you will miss out on the healthy nutrients in the yolks, mentioned above.
- On stove top: Spritz oil in a pan and add veggies stir until they soften, add egg and scramble. Meanwhile toast bread, or prepare oats in microwave, and when eggs are cooked, place on bread or serve with oats. Add berries and cinnamon to the oats or simply add the cinnamon on top of the berries. Have berries on the side! Yum!
- In microwave: Note--this is not for everyone. We realize some people prefer not to microwave their eggs while other love having them ready to go in less than 3 minutes. Simply beat eggs with spices of choice in microwave-safe bowl until blended. Microwave on high for 45 seconds. Then stir. Microwave until eggs are almost set, 30 to 45 seconds longer. This may vary depending on your microwave. Serve immediately with toast.
To get our FREE Guide to Help You to Lose Weight without Relying on Willpower click here!
Feeling full and satisfied throughout the day is one way our clients are able to hit their weight loss goals, without depriving themselves or relying on willpower. Wanna find out 3 more secrets to weight loss without willpower? Stay tuned to grab our free guide!
One response to “The Most Satisfying Weight Loss Breakfast”
I just made this by following this recipe, it was so tasty and delicious, I can’t explain. It is a real winner, really enjoyed Thanks for sharing.