It’s March 7th, National Cereal Day! Try this delicious and heart-healthy oatmeal recipe that provides a great source of energy-revving fuel from the wholesome carbohydrates in the blueberries and oats. The steel cut oats provide an excellent source of fiber while the agave nectar adds sweet flavor, and the blueberries (or fruit of your choice) flood your body with antioxidants.
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 2/3 cup skim milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 3 tablespoons agave nectar
- ¼ cup blueberries or fruit of your choice
- 1 teaspoon raisins
- Combine water, milk, salt and oats in a pot over medium heat.
- Stir constantly. When it boils, reduce heat and mix in agave nectar.
- Cover and simmer, stirring frequently over the next 25 minutes.
- When oats are creamy and soft remove from heat, stir and cover. Allow to sit for an additional 10 minutes so oats can soak up any remaining liquid.
- Sprinkle blueberries on top and serve.
Nutrition Information: (Per Serving)
Calories: 281; Fat: 1g; Carbohydrates: 58g; Sugars: 20g; Fiber: 6g; Protein: 10g