It’s August now, which means one thing – the new school year is quickly approaching!! This is the time we help our clients to stay on the healthy track despite leaving the summer, more laid back lifestyle. We help them to plan meals in advance, have everything ready the night before, etc, so they’re ready to start their day off on the healthy track. But one of the most important things to focus on in the hectic mornings is to make sure to eat breakfast every single day! This is just as important for you as it is for kids.
An easy way to make sure you stay on track is to plan out breakfast meals for the whole week on Sunday. A combo of whole grain carbs (for fiber and nutrients) and protein (for satiety) is a great way to start your day with an energy boost. If you’ve got kids, to keep them interested and make it fun for them too– get them involved in helping to prepare the healthy breakfasts they’ll be eating all week!
We love this simple breakfast combo that’s so fast when you’re rushing out the door– English Muffin Sandwich!
English Muffin Sandwich
- 1 whole grain English muffin, toasted
- 2 tbsp. peanut butter (make sure your tablespoon is level since calories add up quickly with peanut butter. One level tablespoon has 100 calories)
- 1 slice of apple
- Lightly toast an English muffin on a medium setting in your toaster for a few minutes or until to desired darkness.
- Spread the peanut butter on both sides of the English muffin. The peanut butter will look as if it’s melting due to the heat of the muffin.
- Add the apple slice on top of the peanut butter on one side of the English muffin.
- Place the other English muffin half on top of the other so it’s like a peanut butter sandwich.
Nutrition Facts: Serving Size: 1 sandwich: 330 calories, 18 g fat, 4 g saturated fat, 441 mg sodium, 35 g carbs, 7 g fiber, 10 g sugar, 14 g protein
Don’t let the fat in this scare you, it comes from the healthy fat in the nuts and this portion allows you enough to have a healthy, satisfying breakfast with plenty of protein.
What’s your quick go-to breakfast on your hectic mornings?