Life can get so busy. Between juggling work, school, family and relationships, eating healthfully sometimes slips through the cracks. Whether you feel you don’t have time to throw together a healthy meal, or maybe you are simply stuck in a salad rut- this is the recipe for you! It’s a play on the classic Middle Eastern tabouleh salad that is quick to throw together and will leave your taste buds singing! This is a perfect meal to make the night before and pack for lunch the next day- the already amazing flavors in this salad get even better after marinating overnight in the fridge.
Tabbouleh is typically made with couscous or bulgur, but we make this recipe with quinoa for an extra boost in protein and iron—and because most of you have requested more quinoa recipes :). And unlike traditional tabbouleh, this is great for those who are gluten free!
(Pssst… looking for more healthy recipes? Please feel free to search this site! Here a few similar vegetarian dishes to try…
More reasons to munch on this salad:
- It’s low in calories, but you’d never know it since it’s bursting with flavor.. While herbs like mint and parsley add a dose of freshness, the lemon brightens everything up with a zesty kick. you won’t feel like you need to douse the salad with high cal dressings..
- Mint is anti-inflammatory–a tummy soother and allergy fighter (read more about it here in our recipe for skinny homemade strawberry mint ice cream).
- Parsley is known to be a carminative, which means that it aids in relieving, ahem, gassiness. Needless to say, this quinoa tabouleh will leave your tummy feeling free from any ailments.
- Tomatoes and cucumber are super hydrating, so they help to moisturize the skin, which is exactly what you need to get glowing skin.
- Tomatoes are also a fabulous source of lycopene, a phytonutrient that protects the skin from the sun and has also been shown to reduce the risk of prostate, lung, and stomach cancer.
Clearly, this salad belongs in your lunch bag, ASAP– it looks beautiful, tastes fresh and is so satisfying, as any salad should be!
Tomato Quinoa Tobbouleh
1/2 cup of cooked quinoa
Juice of 1 lemon
½ cup mint, cleaned and chopped
¾ cup parsley, cleaned and chopped
1 pint of cherry tomatoes
1 medium cucumber
1 Tbs olive oil
½ tsp pepper
a pinch of sea salt
Clean and chop the mint and parsley. Dice the cucumber and cut cherry tomatoes in half. Toss herbs and veggies together. Add the cooked quinoa to the mix. Squeeze the juice of one lemon and the olive oil over the salad. Finish off with the salt and pepper. Toss to combine all ingredients. Eat as is, or refrigerate overnight for tomorrow’s lunch!
- ½ cup of cooked quinoa
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ½ cup mint, cleaned and chopped
- ¾ cup parsley, cleaned and chopped
- 1 pint of cherry tomatoes
- 1 medium cucumber
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- ½ tsp pepper
- a pinch of sea salt
- Clean and chop the mint and parsley
- Dice the cucumber and cut cherry tomatoes in half
- Toss herbs and veggies together
- Add the cooked quinoa to the mix
- Squeeze the juice of one lemon and the olive oil over the salad
- Finish off with the salt and pepper
- Toss to combine all ingredients
- Eat as is, or refrigerate overnight for tomorrow’s lunch