By now you probably know that we’re all about veggies (umm, yeah, after learning about all of the incredible ways that veggies can help and heal the body, we became even slightly more obsessed 😉 and couldn’t hold back–we want you to reap the benefits and we wrote The Nutrition Twins Veggie Cure! to help you to do it!). Although we are now girls who love veggies raw, steamed, grilled, in salads, and any which way– we totally get it that not everyone is like this (we once weren’t!) and relate to getting bored with humdrum salads.
So that’s why we created this little number…this salad is for you if your taste buds need a little stimulation! (Actually, most of our recipes are made for you if your taste buds need to be tantalized while your body gets its’ veggies! 🙂 Check out our Roasted Red Pepper, Spinach & Feta Portobello Burger or our Veggie Frittata Bites— or pretty much any recipe on our site!) It’s all about mixing up different textures and flavors. Try crunchy & creamy together and it makes a party in your mouth! 🙂 In this particular salad, the creamy avocado paired with the crunchy corn and crisp veggies is awesome! Plus, the flavor of sweet summer corn is like candy to us! Combine it with juicy blueberries, satisfying, protein-rich eggs– and it’s a home run! Plus, this salad only contains a few simple ingredients and can be thrown together in a hot minute!
Another cool part about this meal? We combined these ingredients so that it would be great for your entire body—from your brain to your skin and eyes!
Here’s to your health! Here are just a few nutritional perks in this salad:
• It’s a powerhouse when it comes to protecting against macular degeneration (the leading cause of blindness in the U.S–and our Grandma Pearl had it, so it hits close to home) and chronic eye disease! Corn contains the good-for-your-eyes antioxidant caretonoids lutein and zeaxanthin, while avocados are rich in good-for-you monounsaturated fats which enhance the absorption of the caretonoids.
• It helps to protect against chronic diseases like diabetes, heart disease, and cancer thanks to Blueberries’ powerful antioxidants.
• It contains the magical skin and hair nourishing ingredients–antioxidants like vitamin C, beta-carotene and vitamin E thanks to tomatoes, and avocados (try our Avocado and Olive Pasta). These veggies are so potent that in our book The Nutrition Twins’ Veggie Cure we refer to them as the skin fillers, plumpers, and Botox and hair conditioners of the food kingdom.
- They naturally are rich in water– so as you know, we have tons of recipes with them for this benefit alone (Spaghetti Squash Bruschetta anyone?) they create moisture within your skin, plumping the cells and filling the crevices in your skin and preventing a dry, flakey scalp and the hair to match.
- Vitamin C keeps skin youthful and elastic by aiding in collagen formation, while beta carotene helps give a healthy glow and hue while protecting skin from sun damage.
- Antioxidants guard against premature aging by helping to prevent cell damage while all of these veggies contain powerful anti-inflammatory compounds that give skin a smoother appearance.
- Plus avocado’s mono-unsaturated fat acts as an additional nourishing lotion for the skin.
- An additional skin bonus? One of the main reasons we added eggs (other than they are a great way to get protein) is because have vitamin A, D, and omega-3s all which help to keep your skin healthy. We go for Eggland’s Best because they have 4 times the vitamin D, and twice the omega- 3’s compared to other eggs.
Sweet Summer Egg Salad
3 ears sweet corn, cleaned and shucked
3 eggs (we use Eggland’s Best because they have 25% less saturated fat than other eggs)
¾ cup blueberries
1 large, ripe and juicy tomato
½ avocado (about 2 ounces)
6 ounces nonfat yogurt
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon fresh lemon or lime juice
Simply mix all ingredients (except the dressing ingredients) together in a medium to large bowl. We used all fresh ingredients and it was delicious! If ingredients are not super fresh, you may want to add the dressing. Whisk it together and stir it into the salad. YUM!
Nutrition Facts (without dressing) Per serving: 203 Calories, 27 g carbohydrate, 8 g fat, 10 g protein, 6 g fiber, 60 g sodium
Nutrition Facts (with dressing) Per serving: 230 Calories, 29 g carbohydrate, 8 g fat, 15 g protein, 6 g fiber, 188 g sodium
The Nutrition Twins’s Work with Eggland’s Best to help people make nutritious choices
- 3 ears sweet corn, cleaned and shucked
- 3 eggs (we use
- Eggland’s Best
- because they have 25% less saturated fat than other eggs)
- ¾ cup blueberries
- 1 large, ripe and juicy tomato
- ½ avocado (about 2 ounces)
- Dressing (optional)
- 6 ounces nonfat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon or lime juice
- Simply mix all ingredients (except the dressing ingredients) together in a medium to large bowl. We used all fresh ingredients and it was delicious! If ingredients are not super fresh, you may want to add the dressing. Whisk it together and stir it into the salad. YUM!